Thursday 5 June 2014

11 ...



Three of the group are intimately familiar with the various hallways throughout the Vatican, but all are content to let Michelangelo lead the way. Rather than where the tourists enter, just beneath the damned souls of the Last Judgement, Michelangelo opens the huge wooden doors to emerge as he always did, from the proper entrance used by Cardinals and Popes. The otherwise masterful frescoes of Botticelli, Perugino, Pinturicchio, Ghirlandaio, and Roselli are powerfully dominated by Michelangelo's masterpieces.

As compelling as it is to look immediately up toward the ceiling, having entered from this end of the chapel, they are first confronted by the magnificent Last Judgement on the wall behind the altar. 

http://maitaly.wordpress.com/2011/04/04/michelangelo-sistine-chapel-the-last-judgement/

Bernini
Are you happy with the restoration work, Michelangelo?

Michelangelo
What? Restoration? What do you mean, restoration?

Bernini
Oh ... it had not occurred to me that you were unaware of the recent work. Forgive me, I thought you knew. For centuries the priests have burned candles and incense, without so much as a thought for what the soot might do to your frescoes. And then too, the entire world wanted to stand here to see the paintings for themselves. The crowds these days are positively suffocating, especially from June to October. They jostle and shove with their dusty clothes, their breath, and despite the admonitions of the poor priest in the corner who acts as disciplinarian, their cameras. As you can imagine, the effect of all of this has been to darken and obscure your original colours. But this time, the conservators and scientists tried to get it right. To my eye, everything looks marvellously vivid and fresh, compared to what I knew of the Sistine in my own time. Now they are taking greater care not to discolour the paintings with "close guesses.". 

Michelangelo
Well, yes, the soot worried me from the beginning. (squinting as he examines particular areas of the Last Judgement) Hmmm. This green is not quite right. (stands back to take in the entire wall; scans the ceiling). But, on the whole, I think the frescoes look very much as I left them. It's out of my hands ... yet again! There's nothing I can do to correct any mistakes, so I suppose the best thing is simply to let it go, and enjoy what is here today. It's pretty good though. AHA! Look! Here's that idiot, penny-pinching Cardinal Carafa, just where I left him, and precisely where he belongs ... among the damned. 



No comments:

Post a Comment